I am now 4.5 days natural woohoo! Lol, but as I thought that my hair would just naturally curl up into defined curls…umm that hasn’t happened. Some parts are extremely coily (which is awesome, I can’t stop touching my hair) but others are just straight. So now, I seem to have a bit of a fluffy looking afro instead of a defined curly one like how Chrisette Michele rocks hers. So I’m doing research to see how other naturals are doing theirs. I saw on NatSun that one chick let her hair drip dry and didn’t let her towel touch it. Everyday this week, I’m gonna try different methods after I co-wash or rinse my hair and see what works. Surely it’s not just my length right??
- Tuesday: Drip dry – I co-washed with Tresemme conditioner, didn’t towel blot at all, spritzed some aloe vera and water spritz, rubbed some zesty lemon butter in and let it dry
- Result: took about the same amount to dry (30 mins); twa is a bit curlier but still has fluffy bits
- Wednesday: Palm define – co-wash, blotted with microfibre towel, spritz with water + aloe vera + conditioner, massage conditioner onto hair using palm of hand, add some gel and continue massaging in circular motions, spritz a bit of aloe + water + conditioner and continued massaging
- Result: takes longer to dry (about 1 hour), smells nice, hair slightly more defined, especially on right side of head but not as curly as I’d like
- Update: after it dried, I remembered I skipped putting butter on it so I put a bit on my palms and fingers and massged in circular motion around my head. Now there’s a bit more bumpy bits 😀 so maybe tomorrow I do this same technique but put butter on while wet
- Thursday: Palm define without gel – co-wash, blotted with microfibre towel, spritz with water + aloe vera + conditioner spritz, massage it in circular motions, seal with butter massaged in circular motions (spritz a bit of aloe + water + conditioner and continued massaging) NB: for side part, while wet and after putting gel, put side part in, slick down gel and hold both sides with pins until dry
- Result: Didn’t try the side part but hair took about an hour to dry, was feeling quite moisturised throughout the day but looked a bit ashy. Hair was bumpy, not hard yet not soft. Friday morning, hair as still shining
- Friday: Palm define without conditioner – co-wash, blotted with microfibre towel, spritz with water + aloe vera spritz, massage it in circular motions, seal with butter massaged in circular motions
- Result:hmmm not as bumpy as I like. it was definitely softer etc. just not bumpy looking. So before I got ready for dinner, I spritzed some conditioner + aloe vera juice + water on, put some more butter and massaged in circular motions and had my desired look 🙂
So, after all of that, I think the way to go for now is to put conditioner spritz on after co-washing on days I want a bumpier afro. On days when I’m just at home, I might just use the aloe vera + water mix without putting any conditioner. I’ll try to minimise the number of time I put gel in my hair so that I can wash it less often.