I have a confession to make: I’ve been treating my hair like it’s still a
TWA, when in fact it’s not. It hasn’t been for a few months. And
although my practices adapted every once in awhile as it grew longer, I
didn’t include some potentially crucial ones to make sure my hair wasn’t
breaking faster than it was growing.
I want to do a lot of things this year. A lot. My new year hair resolution as I mentioned in a previous post was to retain my hair length. While having Fro away for a month, I realised that I wasn’t being honest with myself or my hair. And although I came to a point last year where I was happy with my routine, I wasn’t really doing anything to really to keep track of and maximise my hair length. It wasn’t a goal, but this year it is and I’m planning on taking it seriously. Not hair Nazi seriously, but seriously enough to change my routine to be one that leads to length retention. As usual, I read a lot of articles and tips on how to retain length and will be sharing some of those words of wisdom.
Things I’d like to slowly include into my routine:
- Finger detangle my hair before combing it on wash day
- Wash my hair in sections
- Trim my hair every six months
- Try twisting my hair for a week or more at a time and rock a twist out for a week, basically wear my hair in a free fro less to reduce breakage. I’ve seen some gorgeous twist styles and I’d like to at least give it a go
- Care for my ends by making sure to seal them with my butter
- Check my hair length every four months. It’s currently 8″
- Add avocado oil to my shampoos again
- Co-wash more often, especially in winter
- Use a creamier lotion type product to smooth onto my hair. I’ve found that my butter is sometimes a bit too hard for some of the styles I want to do
I’m also officially a product whore. For the past few months I’ve been jumping from one brand to another in the hopes of finding the holy grail of…well everything. Not that I’m not happy with what my core products do, but call me curious. And now I have a whole bunch of half empty shampoos, full conditioners and unopened bottles that I really need to either give away or actually find a way of using. This year I’m also hoping to straighten my hair for the first time since chopping it to natural. I said it last year too but I chickened out, and I’m still curious to see how it would look.
I’m glad to have my fro back and there’s so much I want to do with it, I’m not even sure I’ve covered everything in this post! The most daunting bit is adapting my routine. It’s taken me awhile to get to this place but I think it’s necessary for me to try some new things as my goal is different now. Fingers crossed!