We all have different ways we’d describe our relationship with our hair. Some may find it pleasant and hassle-free, others turbulent. Me? I’d describe it as accepting, forgiving and embracing.
Many of you know my hair story. After relaxing, braiding, weaving for most of my life, I only went back to natural almost 5 years ago. I chopped off all my hair when I realised that the relationship I had with my hair had turned toxic. I was addicted to straight hair, and by any means necessary, I would achieve that. Scalps burns, empty wallet and eventually hair loss. Thing is, by the time I realised how detrimental my relationship with my hair had gotten, it was too late and caused a lot of damage.
The last time I relaxed my hair, I forced the hairdressers to do it after removing braids earlier that day. I refused to leave the salon without my straight hair. That was the last day relaxer touched my hair. I know a bad hair relationship all too well. So by virtue of my experience, I was determined to make my relationship with my new natural hair a good one. Oh yeah, we’ve had our ups and downs. Just like with any good relationship, you need to work at it and at times you wonder where things are going. But it’s really important to evaluate where you are, what the goal is and what are you bringing to the table to make it work? I’ve previously described my hair as defiant, stubborn, hard. I can honestly say now it’s at a more positive place where I know if I don’t put in that time and effort into caring for it and listening to it, I wouldn’t love it as much as I do.
I love my natural hair because it’s the most me than any other hair I’ve rocked. Fro has a personality of its own. It represents my heritage and is so versatile I sometimes can’t keep up. I’m constantly surprised at what it can do.
Dove believes in having a long term positive relationship with your hair. The relaunch of their hair care line Nutritive Solutions promises to deliver progressive nourishment so your hair’s health and appearance will improve the more you use it. For more info on their brand new line, check out my blog post here and watch my review here. Just a spoiler alert: I really enjoyed using their Intensive Repair line on Fro. My absolute favourite is the mask. And yes ladies, you can totally use this line on your kinks!
Want to get your hands on these goodies? Dove would like to treat 5 lucky My Fro & I readers to a Nutritive Solutions Intensive Repair hamper worth R1000.
Each hamper includes:
Dove Intensive Repair Shampoo, Dove Intensive Repair Conditioner, Dove Intensive Repair Daily Treatment Conditioner, Dove Intensive Repair Treatment Mask, 1 x microfibre towel, 1 x bath towel.
- In a couple of sentences, share what your hair story is in the comments box below. How are you currently wearing your hair? What do you like or dislike about it? What would you change or never change about it? How are you hoping the new Dove line will help you? The best answers will win.
- The competition will close at 4pm on Friday 25th March, 2016.
- This competition is open to South African residents only.
- Five (5) winners will be chosen and announced by Friday 25th March, 2016.
- The winner will be contacted via e-mail so please supply your address in comment and will need to supply full contact and delivery details. If a winner does not respond to the email within a week of contact, another winner will be chosen.
- All prize delivery logistics will be handled by Dove’s representative.
*Giveaway is now closed. Thank you to all who entered. Congratulations to the five lucky ladies:
Amanda (please send your details to firstname.lastname@example.org asap)